How to Use Kanban Board
Originally a Japanese concept used in manufacturing processes to improve communication and work efficiency between tasks using instruction cards, Kanban has further evolved and made its way into the Agile methodology in project management. This tool displays the project workflow divided into columns or modules. All project tasks progress through each module till their completion.
Benefits of Kanban Board in ProProfs Project:
- Gives a bird’s-eye view of all your tasks
- Increased task visibility resulting in better efficiency
- Drag & drop tasks between columns for ease of use
- Move and adjust columns freely within the workflow
Here’s how a Kanban project workflow looks like:
In the example above, the columns represent the overall task progress while the task cards display the individual progress, end dates, and the assignees and followers.
In this article, you’ll learn:
By default, a project is displayed in the Classic view. To change, select Kanban from the View dropdown menu.
This is how a project is displayed in the Kanban view.
- Task status acts as a column header. Columns can be moved to the right or left
- Tasks become cards and get aligned under the right columns automatically
- Button to add a new task
First things first, let’s decode a task card. The image below has numberings on it with explanations right below.
- This bar shows the progress made so far
- Add a new task
- Add a subtask under the main task
- Assign users or teams
- Add start and end dates
- Add comments and attach files
- Edit or delete a task
You can move a task between statuses (columns) to update its status. For example, to change the status of the ‘Blogs’ task from Open to Under Review, just drag and drop the card in the right column. That’s it.
You’ll notice that moving a task to another column also changes its progress percentage accordingly.